Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Friday, February 3, 2012

Farewell to a Hiking Companion

February 1, 2012; I said goodbye to one of my hiking buddies. Shiloh was close to turning 14 years old, and her time with us came to an end. She was not suffering, but gradually growing weaker, so we decided to just let her pass peacefully at home as long as she was not in pain. Even to the end, she would slowly go outside, look around and wag her tail.

Over those 14 years, we covered a lot of miles and had some great times. She had been showing her age for a while and began a rather fast decline over the last couple of weeks. I knew her time was short, so last Saturday decided to take her on what I was confident would be her last outing.

She was happy to be out again, but stayed close to me the whole time. I walked slow, waited for her, and stopped for lots of breaks.

Shiloh had quite a curiosity and it was very common for her to come over and investigate what I was looking at, when I found something that I thought would be interesting to photograph.........such as this old and very weathered log.


She loved to swim, but this time she just did not feel like it, but did take advantage of the river to get a drink.


We came across the remains of a deer carcass; quite well picked over by scavengers...probably coyotes. Shiloh nibbled a bit on it.....a little raw venison....


Standing among the scattered deer hair.

I stopped along the river bank in a nice sunny spot for a rest. Shiloh decided she would curl up and relax also. We stayed there for about 20 minutes before continueing on back to the car. Of course Emma was also along, and spent the time we were resting, roaming about and exploring.


By the river.

Earlier times............

 With Emma..



........and my favorite I have taken of her..........looking into the sunset a few years back...


........gone but not forgotten...........Shiloh............

Tomorrow, Emma and I will continue the tradition.............thanks for stopping by....

No comments:

Post a Comment