Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, February 27, 2012

Wild Plants for Tea Update

Back in November of 2010, I had a post labeled Wild Plants for Tea. This is just a quick and brief follow-up to that. At that time I gathered numerous plants...all detailed in that post.

I made a comment that the plants should have been gathered earlier in the year. If my schedule had permitted, those plants would have been gathered earlier........and if so, I would not have the appreciation for Blackberry leaf tea that I now have.

I found that the Blackberry leaves developed a very pleasant smell as they were stored in a sealed tin container. The flavor of the tea, in my opinion, was better than herbal teas that I have purchased...and was free!

Late last summer, as I saw my supply dwindling away, I decided to go ahead and replenish my supply of Blackberry leaves. I picked a nice supply, dried them, and recently began using them when the older supply was gone. To my surprise, the flavor was not nearly as good; more bitter and not as pleasant.

The first supply that I picked were already beginning to drop from the vines and were turning red or brown. I now believe.....after learning quite by accident....that the best time to pick Blackberry leaves for tea is in the fall after several frosts when the leaves are ready to drop.

It is amazing what nature has to offer us for free isn't it?

If possible get out, explore, and learn.............until next time...............

2 comments:

  1. I need to try some of these teas. Trouble is I always want caffeine in my tea. One I have wondered about is tea from persimmon leaves. That is supposed to have a lot of vitamin c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try that. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete