Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, February 13, 2012

February in the Woods

Well we have had an unusual winter so far; temperatures above normal (up to 60 degrees in January) and of course very little snow. The last few days we have had about normal temps, but predicted to go up again soon. While those temps make it easy on you when going out, I am concerned about the effects later this year. We need the good, long freezing temps in my opinion so that nature can go through the normal yearly cycle and that some insects and microbes can be contained at normal levels.

I have been out a few times the last few weeks. On one outing, I found some new plants beginning to emerge. Those may have been frozen out by now with recent temps.

One weekend, I ventured out in an early morning fog with temps probably around freezing. The fog gives a unique look to things.


I stopped for a while and watched the geese. A couple ventured close enough for good pictures.


I ventured on out into the woods and stopped above a large valley. I have been here numerous times at all seasons. It is one of my favorite spots just to sit, relax, and enjoy the view. With snow cover, it is beautiful. Early spring with new green growth is also impressive. Even now, with bare trees and brown leaves, it is a nice view with the stream below. This time with the fog gave it a look new for me...............and also for Emma.
As you can see there is a bit of green in the woods. Most of what you see is there even when we have our normal winter temps. The wild ferns seem to be pretty hardy and I have seen them green when covered with snow. Of course the moss is pretty tough also.

We ventured on down the hill to the stream. Emma always enjoys wading along in the water.

From the top of the hill, I had spotted several bright red objects across the stream. When I got over there, I found these growing in several places. Not sure what they are, probably some kind of mushroom of fungus that was fooled into thinking it was spring because of the warm weather we have had.

Emma and I continued our hike about another mile and came across this old cemetery in the woods.


I wonder about young Amanda; married to Mr. Giles McGee. She died at just 18 years old in 1848. What kind of life did she have? Did she have any children at that young age? What caused her death?

From here we hiked on back to the car..............and then over this past weekend we ventured out again with more normal temps....in the teens when I started out, but warmed up to the high twenties while we were out and about.

We headed to a different area, probably just about 3 miles from the last outing, but on the opposite side of the Middlefork River. We started following a small stream that was frozen over enought for Emma, but I did not feel it was probably strong enough to support me. This area was just behind an old beaver dam (visible in the top picture).


Emma could smell something interesting inside this hollow tree.


The only visible green was moss on old dead tree trunks.

We continued on until we came to the Middlefork River. I sat in the sun, just listening to the water and enjoying the view and feeling the cold wind. I took out a small thermos of hot blackberry leaf tea (made from leaves I gathered); poured some out and drank it along with some snacks. I called Emma over and shared the snacks with her.

Below me the river was flowing, just a bit above normal levels, with ice floating along.

I climbed up a steep embankment along the edge of the river to where I could enjoy one of the nicer views in our area.


..............and following are some pictures that were taken surprisingly just down the street from our house.

How many Turkey Vultures do you see? I count 13 in this picture. A large group of Turkey Vultures have moved into our neighborhood and stay in this tree. Double click this (and any of the pictures) for a larger view.



This immature Coopers Hawk stopped long enough on a tree across the street for me to get a nice picture. I had to research on the internet to identify it for sure. I thought it was a Coopers Hawk, but the brighter colors made me unsure. What I learned was that the immature hawks are more reddish in color and have the stripes on their chests. Quite an attractive bird in my opinion.


And with that.........I believe I will close this post. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy it, and perhaps learn something.

Until next time..........see ya....

4 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to scroll through such fine, interesting pictures, Mr.Hhop. As for the young wife, those times were hard to survive in, esp. in giving birth.

    Emma may be hearing bees in that tree?

    I hope you present us with a blog later on on possible effects this mild winter will have had on the usual 'balance of nature'. Thanks! From Bru Oliver 'u'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that you were finally able to post.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      I also enjoy your blog...great information. Always interesting to learn about other areas.

      Delete