Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, August 15, 2011

Mid July Early Morning

This hike was taken during the recent heat wave that we had. Even though this was in the early morning, it got too hot to be out hiking by the time I got back to the car; late morning. After this event, I began taking easier outings, several of them just wading the river with my spinning rod.

The sun was low enough in the eastern sky when I started, that it was still somewhat dark in the woods. I cut cross country to one of my favorite areas above the Middlefork River. This spot is featured throughout several of my earlier blogs....and will be in future blogs. These are two of my better pictures from this vantage point, with the early morning lighting really helping convey how it feels to stand there and look out over the river valley. I will be making another post in the near future, from a hike this past weekend; that will have a picture of me standing beside this tree...on the opposite side...as you can see, it is right on the edge of the drop-off. I would guess that by next spring, this tree will succumb to the river cutting away the bank below; and slide down into the river. When I first arrived here; I was just standing admiring the view, when movement caught my eye and I saw a Bald Eagle flying along the river below me.....quite a magnificent sight!


I hiked on down to the river level; walking the bank and when possibly venturing out on the exposed sand/gravel bars. When standing on this one a Bald Eagle (probably the same one) came soaring around the bend, about 25 feet above the water.....saw me...banked hard, and flew a large detour on the other side of the river, before gliding back over the water and continuing downstream. Two fantastic sightings. I did get my camera out the second time, but not quick enough to catch it.

Still further downstream, are the foundations from an old iron bridge. I believe somewhere, back in my earlier posts; are a couple of very good pictures that I took several years ago, of the bridge.


From here, I went back up the bank and continued on downstream; but got into some VERY thick brush with lots of large sharp thorns; so changed my course. I had reached an old strip mine area; just completely overgrown with brush...lots of steep little hills...and it was getting hot...so I decided that portion will wait till Fall or Winter. I did come across an area with Hazel Nut bushes. Those were a favorite of my mother and I sometimes would pick a few for her when I came across them at the right time of year. Finding these brought back childhood memories..........



Walking along one of the many ridges from the old strip mining days; I finally came to an open area in the brush. There below me was a  lake! This was quite a surprise, as I did not know it was there. From what I could see, there is no access to the lake, but just very thick brush all around. If it had not been getting so hot, I probably would have climbed down for a better look. I will come back, but park on the other side of the river and wade across to check out the lake and surrounding area. It will be a much shorter distance to the lake....I just need the river to stay low enough to safely cross....probably not a problem.


It was time to head back. It was hot and uncomfortable and I had gotten into an area that was a struggle to get through. I kept walking east along the ridge above the lake, thinking I would soon be out of the brush; and finally started working my way north and eventually got out into the heavier, older growth woods.....still hilly, but cooler and much more open for easier walking. I stopped on a hill top........had a snack and a cup of coffee and just relaxed.....a much needed break.




When getting back nearer my parking area, I came across a patch of Mayapples.....very common, but several of these still had fruit. The fruit is normally gone by this time. These were still quite solid. When they are ripe, they are softer and turn a pale yellow color. I learned from my dad, that there is a nice sweet juice inside, if you find them at the right time. They are also full of pulp and lots of seeds.

It was a good morning hike, but it was good to get back in my car and head home; to a needed drink of water....the coffee I took along, was probably not the best choice for the hot weather, but was a nice luxury when sitting on the hilltop for a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment