Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mid August Hike

For quite a while, it has been very dry here. Many plants and trees are showing the signs of going too long with too little water. Some trees have been dropping leaves for several weeks now.

I went out for a Sunday evening hike, which was the following day from the previous post. A small stream that I normally cross by walking over the downed tree that lies over the stream in the background of the picture; was dried up except for a few small areas.

This time of year, there are lots of spider's webs that you often walk into. Those are very annoying to walk into and have them stick on your face, especially in the hot weather we have had recently. I would not have wanted to walk into this spider's web, but did take the time for a picture, then left it alone.


I crossed the stream bed in the first picture, very near where I parked. From there, I walked mostly in a westerly direction; to where I again came to the stream bead, about 1/2 mile to the west. The stream takes a large circular path around the perimeter of the river bottom area and along the base of some hills. It originates from a very marshy area that is fed by springs. I did not go to that area, but will do so another time. When I got to the stream bed, I just began following it back around to where I had started. Being mostly dry, it provided an easy pathway.


There were a few spots that still had a bit of water.


This was an interesting find. It appears that a bird of prey died here. I would like to know the story behind this. This provides a nice look at the talons that these birds have for holding their prey. If you find something like this; look it over, perhaps take some pictures; but leave it where you found it. It is a crime to possess the talons, feathers, or parts of a raptor.


Some deer tracks in the soft mud along the stream bed.

Mushrooms growing from a rotting log.


Numerous springs were seeping out of the base of the hills alongside the streambed; enough in one area, that a section of the stream still had water from bank to bank.


From here, I detoured away from the stream and out into an open area; and walked to the east with the evening sun behind me. A large number of plants out in this open area have turned brown from the heat and lack of water.


This is a field of sunflowers. All of the blossoms are facing east. Does anyone know why? I do not, but it was very noticeable.


A sunflower with nice back lighting provided by the evening sun.


This was a nice and easy hike, mostly over flat ground; and the easy walk following the winding stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment