Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, August 15, 2011

Horseshoe Bottoms Revisited

I see it has been a while since my last post. I have accumulated a backlog of pictures; and will make an attempt over the next few days to get a few updates here.

On my last hike to the Horseshoe Bottoms area; it took me about 90 minutes of hard hiking to get there; AND THEN, I could not locate the proper way back to my parking area, so took a long hike along a road to reach it. I was determined to solve that riddle......and was able to quite easily.

I went back a couple of weeks later, with a compass; took readings as I went and hiked straight south from my parking area.


  My first surprise was reaching the small stream that I had followed the previous time in under 15 minutes.


I crossed the stream and headed up hill.


My second surprise, was that in no more than 5 minutes from crossing the stream; I arrived at my destination...that had taken me 90 minutes on my prior visit! I looked about there a bit, then decided to get back on course and continue hiking straight south.



Working my way through the area with prairie plants, I passed numerous plants in blossom; and was very fortunate to get a picture of a Hummingbird Moth....perhaps not the correct name, but what I have always heard them called. They are pretty neat moths and are actually almost as big as a hummingbird. (Click on the second picture below for a better view of the moth.)




These are Buckeyes, still on the tree. As soon as I can, I will post a more recent picture of some Buckeys from a hike I took with a friend over the weekend.

I continues south, down into the river bottom area; eventually coming to the river at a section where it was running from west to east.


From here, I followed ther river back upstream, in the general direction back to my car. I climbed up a steep hill from the river level to a high bank overlooking the river and bottom land areas; and stopped to rest. I broke out my water and snacks and just relaxed there a while.

I then hiked to the northeast, until I came to a location that would put me back on course to my car; and hiked straight north.......arriving back at the parking area with no problem.

It was an enjoyable early morning hike. I will get a few more updates here soon.....possibly another yet today.....but will see what the evening brings.....until and as always......get out and enjoy the outdoors in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment