Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, August 15, 2011

Early August...early morning

If you have not been here for a while; in what is quite unusual for me: this is my third post for today....so if interested, you might check the posts below this one. I am trying to catch up with my backlog of pictures.

When the heat broke a bit, I got back out for a hike. I had been out several times wading the river, but without my camera.

As I started, the sun was not yet above the eastern tree line.

I headed across a field of sunflowers, heading toward the trees in the distance. I spotted a very healthy plant in the field...Jimson Weed. This plant is bad news. If it is growing on your property, you might want to chop it out and get rid of it. It is poisonous if ingested; can cause severe sickness...and possibly death.

There are lots of wild flowers in blossom now...always making for a scenic hike.

I have not yet identified this plant. It has balls with small spikes, quite attractive.
....additional information added March 16, 2012....a Paleoplanet member by the handle of "Rootbeer" believes that this plant is Rattlesnake Master; and apparently is a plant that can be used for cordage or fiber, with an ancient sandal found in a rock shelter in Missouri made of this....Thanks Rootbeer!


This is Blue Vervain. My dad used to gather this plant; let it dry; and sell it to his herb buyer. It is used as an ingredient in some medicines. Do a bit of research if interested in it's properties...and use good judgment before using it or any wild plant as a medicinal.

Goldenrod; another plant with medicinal properties. I know a guy, that is model train/railroad hobbiest. He takes Goldenrod and uses the blossomed branches to make quite realistic looking little trees for his rail set up.

Down by the river..........
Here is a neat trail through the soft sand. Can you guess what animal made it?? It is often referred to as a quite busy animal.....you should be able to guess correctly from that clue....

The river, as with all streams, is always changing...cutting away the banks on one side and moving in that direction, most noticably at the sharp bends. I have taken a picture of this tree buried in the sand numerous times over the last several years. It is unique, in that it came to rest in such a way, that it has stayed firmly in place. I have canoed this section of the river and can recall canoeing past this buried tree; but it was then on the far side of the river and I would have been canoeing through the area where I stood for this picture. I also have pictures of my dogs out on the ice near this tree when it was in mid-stream. I believe that picture is in an earlier post in my blog.


The river is at a very low level now. During our recent hot weather, it was a nice outing to wade the river, with my light weight spinnig rod. Areas like the below picture can be very productive. I have caught some nice Rock Bass recently, using a small spinner bait cast along weed beds such as those in the picture. It is also common to catch Smallmouth Bass and Largemouth Bass. A fun little fish to catch in these areas is the Pumpkin Seed....a small member of the Sunfish family, but very agressive, sometimes taking a bait not much smaller than them.



No comments:

Post a Comment