Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fall Afternoon

Archery deer season has begun here. I am not a deer hunter; but please do not read that as an anti-hunting statement. I enjoy venison and wish the hunters success. If any of my hunting friends need help setting up, finding a good spot, or any assistance with a deer, I am willing to help. I just have not gotten the "fire and desire" to give it a worthwhile try and at my age, will probably forgo that.

To provide as little disruption as possible to hunters, I chose to go for a hike early last Saturday afternoon, hoping to be out between their normal morning and late afternoon hunting times. I headed out to the closest area; walked  through a grown up old pasture area, back to a wooded area, where there is marsh. Along the way, I passed a tree stand.

We are getting some very nice Fall colors now, better than I had expected following our severe drought and very hot summer.


The marsh areas are a bit low, from the dry summer, but still back into some of the wooded areas a bit.

Looking across the very upper end of the marsh, where it blends into a very small feeder stream that is hidden away in the tall grass.


Looking out over the main body of the marsh. The marsh areas have been created by the county park management; to duplicate what was once very common in my area, until the early settlers drained the marsh land for farm land.


A hornets nest hanging in a tree over a small stream.


Once again; that old familiar odor was filling my nostrils...that of a dead deer. I knew it was very near and was determined to find it. Another clue was that there was a large number of Turkey Vultures in the trees and flying about that I had disturbed from feeding.

After searching about, I finally found the carcass. It was on the other side of a small finger of the marsh from where I first got it's scent. My dog found it before me, and was eating some of the VERY rotten and maggot infested meat. It was a small 8 point buck, and I assume another victim of the virus that was so rough on our deer population this year.


On the way back to my vehicle, I found that a hunter was in the stand that I had passed. I stopped and had a nice visit with him. He was very understanding about me passing through the area, especially since he had chosen a spot that is close to the road and easily accesible.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment