Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Sunday, September 30, 2012

Railroad Trestle Evening Hike

Today, I changed up my routine a bit and took off for a hike and photo expedition late in the afternoon. My normal routine gets me out there early, usually before others are there.

This abandoned railroad trestle is located northeast of Collison, Illinois (a very small village in Vemilion County); over the Middlefork River. This section of the river is fun to wade with light spinning tackle and is a good place to catch Smallmouth Bass. We have also caught Rock Bass in the weed beds along the sandbars.

The Sumac really shows up well now, with their bright color. I noticed that there are very few fruit clusters on the Sumac...probably a result of our summer drought. A drink can be made from the fruit clusters; that can be consumed either hot or cold.



Some of the Poison Ivy shows up very well right now. The type that grows taller is bright red, while the plants lower to the ground have a more subdued color.



Once again, I came across a deer carcass. This one was not far from a road, and I believe it must have died as the result of a collision with a vehicle. It appeared to have been a healthy 10 point buck.




With the sun getting low, it was time to head home.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment