Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunday hike Sept. 23, 2012

I was able to get out both days this weekend for a nice hike. Sunday's hike was much shorter and easier, hardly any steep hills.


I mostly stayed in the near vicinity of the upper end of a small local lake. It is quite low from our drought, so I was able to walk the bank without too much trouble, but some of the mud was pretty soft.
As always Emma spent lots of time in the water.







There were hundreds of small frogs on the shore.

I entered one area that had a large number of Hummingbirds; and I assume they may have been in the process of migrating through our area.




Once again, I came across the carcass of a large deer. This was a 12 point buck, that appeared to have been a healthy animal. From posting about the deer on Facebook and also on Paleoplanet, I have come to conclude what I suspected, that these deer were diseased. Everyone seems in agreement that they had a virus from gnat bites; that was more severe this year because of the very dry conditions and low water levels. This deer was within about 20 feet of the lake's edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment