Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, November 12, 2012

Early November Fall Weekend

Weather today; began with rain mixed with snow...stayed in mid 30s...weather for this past weekend (just two days previous); above normal temps into low 70s, sunshine, and windy. I took full advantage of the nice weather to get out and roam about twice over the weekend...but most likey would have gotten out even if today's weather had been with us over the weekend. An advantage to less than desirable weather, is that you most often have any area you choose to yourself.

Most trees in my area have now lost their leaves; leaving the forest bare, but with a beauty of it's own and a clear view not available when leaves are present.

If you look closely, there are still a few plants sporting fall colors. These Gooseberry leaves caught my eye, with their soft colors.


Sycamore trees, with their white bark, and spreading limbs; provide a nice contrast in amoungst the other trees.


As usual, my pal Emma was along. She ranges all about the areas that we pass through, checking back occasionally to find me; and is quite adept at following my trail if I have moved on. She climbed up this tree leaning over the water, smelling whatever had been up the tree before we came along. Shortly after this picture, she climbed a bit higher...lost her footing..and fell to the ground. I was somewhat alarmed, but she continued on with no apparent harm.


Continueing along, I passed through the Native American mound site (mentioned in at least one earlier post here). It is a very interesting area, that many local people do not know about; and is in an area that is not that easy to get to. From there it is a short distance to where the river makes a sharp turn to the east. I stopped there for a rest and had a brief visit with a guy that was kayaking downstream.



From this point, I turned west and followed the river downstream, heading back to my vehicle. I encountered a couple of groups of horseback riders along the way....and thankfully my dog did not chase the horses! When I got back to the car and driving away, I saw this pheasant wander out into the open, and was quite surprised that it cooperated long enough for a few pictures.


Sunday, I decided to visit one of our local marsh areas. The weather was still very nice, but the wind continued to grow stronger most of the day. I had chosen to bring along a flannel shirt and was quite comfortable wearing it.

I decided to make another visit to the same marsh that is featured in an earlier post here. I wish that I had taken a picture of the open water area for comparison, because it is quite low now, because of the drought we experienced this summer.

Looking out across the cattails and over the marsh land. Do you see the lone narrow tree, somewhat to the right of center? It will be featured shortly....

I spent a couple of hours here; with over half of that time spent sitting or standing quietly watching and observing. Emma wandered about, checking in with me from time to time. During one of the periods she was away; there was suddenly what seemed a quite loud crashing noise in the cattails near me; apparently an animal that had nearly walked up to me, realized I was there and departed quickly through the very thick growth of cattails. Emma showed up just afterwards. I got her to head into that area to see if she could pick up a trail. You do remember the tree I mentioned above I assume. Soon after I sent Emma to see what she could find; I caught motion on a lone tree in the middle of the cattails. A raccoon was climbing up it to safety...apparently what had made the loud racket that I had heard as it panicked and scampered away. I got several pictures, but it kept it's head pretty well hidden most of the time.
After a few pictures, I left to let the raccoon continue with it's day.

Taking my time and looking about, I found numerous things of interest to me.

Cattails.........



Goldenrod.....

....unkown plant....if you know the identity....please let me know!


Again, another group of unkown plants to me. The whispy heads were probably from 5 to 8 feet tall.


A bright splash of color....

A late season butterfly....


Moving along the edge of the cattails, I began picking up that old familiar odor; that told me there was something dead nearby. I kept searching about, moved further into the cattails and came upon this area trampled down by predators, probably coyotes, around the carcass of a large 8 point buck. My assumption was that he had been wounded by an arrow, but I could see no wound on the exposed side.

**a couple of graphic pictures follow...**







...and so concluded my weekend outings. A great time....with well over 200 pictures taken. Now spending time, sorting, editing, and deleting pictures.

...thanks for stopping by my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment