Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Monday, November 15, 2010

Busy as a Beaver

Beavers are fascinating animals. I seldom see them; but very often see evidence of their presence. I have come across their dams in marshes, small streams, and even now and then across a narrow area of the Middlefork River. I do not know if they have a particular species of tree that they prefer over others; but it is common to see Hackberry trees that they have cut down and also Cottonwood. It could be that both just grow close to the streams. Following are a few pictures I have taken over the last several years.

                                       A group of downed Cottonwoods


                                          Hackberry tree

Another Hackberry with fresh Spring growth

Dam across Middlefork River

                                          Dam in a marsh

Beaver house at marsh edge
                                            Beaver swimming in marsh


Cottonwood with my glove to show the size of the tree


                                              Just another downed Hackberry

If you get a chance, take a walk along the streams in your area. There might be beaver work there for you to see first hand. If not, you still get a great chance to enjoy a day outdoors.
Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment