Influences

Recognition should be given to all those who have gone before; family members, friends, and others that may have influenced me in their own quiet way.

Special recogition should go to my father Kenneth (Kenny to all who knew him) and my grandfathers Selby and Chester (Jake), both born in the 1890s. All of these gentlemen influenced me in their own way...with time fishing, hunting, trapping, or just time spent togeher.....







Sunday, September 29, 2013

Early Fall Fishing and Relaxation

I get a fishing license every year, but it seems I never get out and actually fish as much as I think I will when I get it in the spring. This year has been no exception; but I have gotten out several times recently, and really enjoy the slightly cooler temperatures.

Most of the fishing I do is in smaller rivers and streams. Occasionally I can be found at a lake or pond, but I really like moving along a stream or just finding a nice spot and spending some time there.  There is something peaceful about a small meandering river.

What follows is somewhat a summary of a couple of recent outings.

We are beginning to get a bit of nice fall color here. A view as I was walking to a spot on the river I had in mind to fish and then wade back in direction of where I was parked.

The stream I most often spend time along, is the Middlefork Vermilion River. About a 20 mile section of it is designated as a National Scenic River; to my knowledge the only river in Illinois with that distinction.
It is at a low level now and quite easy to wade along and cast along weed beds or deeper holes of water.




This is a spot that I had passed through earlier in the summer, on a kayak trip with a couple of friends...Rusty and Sal. Of course the water level was higher then, but it just looked like a spot I wanted to get back to and try. The stream makes a slight bend here and the faster flowing water empties into a deeper pool. I caught a couple of nice Smallmouth Bass here and had several more strikes.

This fish is one that I caught in the above mentioned spot. These are fun to catch. They fight hard and will do a few aerial acrobatics before you get them in.....and sometimes those aerial shows shake the hook loose.

I also caught several Rock Bass. These will take your lure or bait, and just starting swimming away, trying to go deep in my experience with them. They do not fight as hard or furious as the Smallmouth does; but they are an attractive little fish with those red eyes. I usually catch these along weed beds in a few feet of water, normally with a rocky bottom.

A few other catches that are not uncommon. I have always called this first fish a Pumpkin Seed and that seems to be the popular name locally. I was corrected on that when I posted a picture on the Illinois Department of Natural Resources Facebook page; telling me this is actually a Longear Sunfish. I have done a lot of internet research.....and must admit that seems to be the correct name...BUT I will probably continue to call these Pumpkin Seeds when I catch one. After doing the research, I can see the slight difference in the two species...with the main difference being that on a true Pumpkin Seed the "ear" is much shorter.


These Chubs or Shiners...as I usually call them, are not uncommon to catch with a small lure.


A few more pics of some Smallmouth Bass I caught.


A small mussel I found feeding in the sandy bottom. I do not know the identity of this. Feel free to jump in and identify that if you know.




My faithful tag along companion Emma. She loves going along with me...

....and a few pictures of the River and the area...these being taken yesterday.


That spot visible in the middle of the river, will forever be linked in my memory as "Rusty's Leaking Kayak Sandbar"! At that spot, we had to stop because Rusty's Kayak was slowly taking in water. He and Sal repaired it there, with quite an ingenious way. They took a plastic water bottle, heated a piece with a lighter and let the liquid plastic drip into the hole sealing it.




I certainly plan to get out and do this a few more times, before the weather is too cold. Quite a relaxing experience. ......................and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment